Remove AVG Secure Search Toolbar

Written by newmediamike

Topics: Blog, Featured

AVG Secure Search Toolbar hijack your browser? Do you want to know how to remove AVG Secure Search Toolbar?

AVG Secure Search Toolbar hijacked my Chrome and Firefox browsers and I wanted to remove AVG Secure Search.  I searched “how can I remove avg secure search”; what did I find? Lots of people who also want to know how to remove the AVG Secure search from their browser.  Also plenty more who wanted to know what was AVG secure search and how did they get it installed? What I didn’t find immediately though was instructions on how to remove the malware toolbar.

What is AVG Secure Search was easy to find. It’s a toolbar which comes bundled with other programs. I remembered back in February I was downloading video and the download sites kept asking me to install this program to speed up the process. I accidentally did it once, but didn’t activate the toolbar. Unbeknownst to me, there was malware and it installed the AVG Secure search extension and toolbar without my knowledge or permission.

Removing AVG Secure Search

But finding the answer to the question “How Can I Remove AVG Secure Search” proved harder. The AVG site didn’t help with removing AVG. They haven’t upgraded the removal instructions for AVG search for Chrome since Chrome was updated.  The instructions for removal from AVG were useless.

According to AVG if you go to this page: chrome: // chrome / settings /  via clicking on the wrench in Chrome. Click on the avg search and then remove. You can then set Google as default search engine.  Only problem, there is no wrench in Chrome and the updated version isn’t set up the same way.

I then thought I would hunt down every instance of AVG Secure Search I could find in my program files.  I went through and meticulously deleted every entry I could find. I then rebooted and relaunched Chrome. Nothing, every time I opened a new tab my default search reverted to AVG Secure Search.

Now I’m getting frustrated. I want desperately now to get rid of  AVG Secure Search. After a few hours of digging I found the answer.

How to Remove AVG Secure Search Toolbar Permanently

The answer is so simple it’s mind boggling. Through Control Panel delete the AVG Secure Search Toolbar. That’s it. I don’t have the problem with AVG Secure Search taking over my search results any more.

Remove-AVG-Secure-Search-Toolbar

Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs >AVG Secure Search Toolbar > Remove.

That’s all it takes.

Access control panel and remove the AVG Secure Search toolbar from your Chrome browser.

Why I wrote this blog post

I am a search marketing expert, and I get frustrated with the poor quality results I come up with for some common problems.  The best example of this is my blog post on 760-750-8888. When I am able to find an answer I use my search marketing knowledge to effectively market the post to help others with their problems by offering a solution.

This is the type of content Google wants, and the type of content which gets rewarded with higher rankings. If you are looking for insights into the type of content you could create to generate traffic please follow my blog and Twitter as I am creating a series of blog posts on creating compelling content to increase traffic.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

24 Comments For This Post I'd Love to Hear Yours!

1. S. Litherland says:

Thank you! This worked great, although everyone should remember to follow the file paths because names are not always the same I have searched for hours and yours was the best answer by far. AVG and Yahoo! should be ashamed.

2. Me 1 - AVG 0 says:

“I uninstalled this, but it’s still working!” or “how I won the wa… it”.

Didn’t remember that GOM player, installs this crap automatically (put it on FireFox). Uninstalled it. 2 blank pages and then I was back in “AVG Secure…” hell again. “That is not dead which can eternal lie…”

Then was like “…could it simply be a javascript, that’s keeping this fiend alive?” It was. Deleted “?:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\browser\components —> avgMozXPCOM.js” and the beast was no more.

3. Guy says:

Took me two steps. First I downloaded the configuration tool which allowed me to remove the program in Programs and Features. Then I followed Tony’s
    advice and removed AVG from start up pages in Chrome’s Settings.

4. Omar says:

I think someone else mentioned in this thred, there is also a toolbar updater folder. Avg secure search will come back if you don’t erase this folder. You can run task manager find the process open the file location then end the process in task manager then erase the folder ad you should be good in addition to the actions described in my other posts. You can also just locate the folder in common files in windows 8, but again you will probably have to end the process before erasing the folder.

5. Omar says:

and the folder in your program files might actually be called avg secure search

6. Omar says:

And Vprotect should be located in the 32bit (x86) programs section of your hard drive, and I only had to run CC cleaner on the registry.

7. Omar says:

I had a problem with uninstalling the avg tool bar. It was not in remove program section of windows. When I tried to uninstall it from the tab on the tool bar it would stay in manage add on in internet explorer under internet options. After that when I would open a new tab in internet explorer it would open a blank page even with my options set to open my home page. When I would try resetting my new tab to open the home page it would eventually revert back to opening a blank page. Avg tool bar modifies the windows registry which sifting through I wasn’t able to find exactly where. So what I did first was control alt del to open task manager. Find a process called vprotect and end process. Locate the the avg file on your hard drive after ending the process also called vprotect erase the folder. If you try erasing with out ending the process windows will say that the folder is being used in another program. After that I ran CCcleaner and then preformed a reboot. After this Avg tool bar was no longer in manage add ons and I haven’t had the blank page issue. I tried just erasing the folder with out running cc cleaner and eventually the AVG folder would reappear as well as the blank page issue. Hope this helps.

8. Jeff says:

This “simple” oversimplified approach does not work for me because the program is not listed in windows as being installed.
    Does anyone have a verified solution for this contingency?

Thank you.

9. Bruce says:

Thanks! Worked great!

10. Tony says:

AVG search kept appearing as a new tab on Google Chrome.
    My fix:
    Click top right of Google Chrome (customize GC page)
    Settings
    On Start up Click “set pages” link
    Hover over AVG option and X out of it.
    Voila.

Hope this helps.

11. Mark Glomski says:

It did not work. I hit uninstall and nothing happens.

12. Robsta3 says:

There is actually another way to unistall the evil AVG. Go to your start menu click control panel. Click uninstall programs click AVG then click uninstall.
    Also make sure it is not your default browser otherwise it will keep opening.

13. Brian says:

I found the only way to remove it after uninstalling it was to kill 2 processes toolbarupdater.exe & vprot.exe and then delete the folder – avg secure search found in programs folder in your main hard drive be sure when you do this that your Internet is turned off as to prevent the process from rebooting itself, after doing that use a registry cleaner to remove any connecting registries/files left attached to it i recommend using CCleaner by piriform and running both the cleaner and registry fix

14. Steve O. says:

Thanks for your help I had the same thing AVG showed up somehow and took over. Even after deleting it and not having it take over firefox. I still have an avg toolbar updater in my common files that will not delete. When I try it says this file is opened somewhere and i must close it to delete it. Whenever I log a window opens for a split second then closes. This has something to do with AVG.

Thanks again,
    Steve

15. John McCauley says:

Thanks Mike.

16. newmediamike says:

Everything is only simple when you have the answer. If you did not have the answer, then it wouldn’t be so simple. You must have had a problem and searched for a solution, which is how you came to my blog.

17. whocares says:

If everything is so simple, we don’t really need internet at all. For saying that, this post is absolutely useless, and should be removed.

18. newmediamike says:

Beyond the suggestions I have outlined? Sorry, that was it. You may want to contact a PC repair company who can help. In Toronto I recommend A2ZPC

19. D Carter says:

AVG installed on my computer without my realizing it. I have tried to go to Control Panel–Uninstall, and when I click it, I get this popup asking me if I’m sure I want to uninstall, but there is nothing to click except t he RED ‘X’, so it does nothing! I’m more than aggravated. Any other suggestions?

20. Lim Yew Han says:

Thank you very much.

21. Bill Price says:

Like K.Martinsen, I don’t have anything of avg listed in my programs. So how do I remove it ???

22. Bill Price says:

Like K.Martinsen, Idon’t have anything of avg listed in my programs. So how do I remove it ???

23. K. Martinsen says:

Hi – thanks for this solution. The only problem is, the toolbar doesn’t even show up in my list of programs to delete, nor anywhere on my PC when I search for it. I do have a current subscription to the AVG antivirus, which works fine. Until there’s any kind of update, when this happens. And this time I really can’t get rid of it! Any suggestions, other than removing AVG completely, reinstalling it and unchecking the toolbar options, when reinstalling? Thanks in advance!

24. Himanshu says:

Hi,

We’re interested in advertising on your blog.

Let me know if you’re interested in discussing further about it.

Rgds
    Himanshu

Trackbacks For This Post

1. Build traffic without building links » | newmediaMike

Leave a Comment Here's Your Chance to Be Heard!